Thursday, August 4, 2016

Hungrier than Usual and Applesauce Mini Muffins

Dear Joey,

The cupboards are pretty empty again. I swear I went shopping five days ago, but between summertime growth spurts and the bottomless pit of a boy we share our table with now, food doesn't last long around here. Gone are the days when we could get by with making dinner out of a single pound of ground turkey, or when we could stretch a pint of strawberries through more than one meal. These kids clamor for snacks before I finish clearing up the mess from the last time they insisted I feed them. They eat all day long, and I spend so much time feeding them, I usually forget to feed myself. I never thought that was possible.


To make matters more desperate, we're on week three of swim lessons, which means the girls are even hungrier than usual.  They come out of the water ravenous for a snack right now. I feel like I should be stuffing a muffin in their mouth while I wrap them up in their towels like burritos, instead of giving them fruit leather to munch on after they were settled in the stroller.


This week, I followed that feeling and made some mini muffins. I balked at the 90 degree weather, turned on the oven anyway and proceeded to figure out a way to make applesauce and buckwheat appealing to little tummies. Cranking the air conditioning up a degree or two seemed a small price to pay to have a heartier snack at the ready after swim lessons were over. But wouldn't you know, those Goobies accosted me for the muffins on the way out the door on Monday afternoon, insisting But I'm hungry right now! and Yes, I'm sure it won't give me a tummy ache while I'm in the water!


So I handed each girl their own little baggie of them and helped Emery eat one of his own before herding everyone into the car. By the time Addie climbed into her car seat, she was on muffin number two. Halfway through it she paused to say, "Mommy! Hear this!" and then sang me a song:

Do you know the muffin lady, the muffin lady, the muffin lady? 
Do you know the muffin lady who lives in San Ramon? 
Yes I know the muffin lady, the muffin lady, the muffin lady. 
Yes I know the muffin lady because she is my mom.

She then giggled and settled into her seat, clearly enjoying how clever she was, and finished the third muffin before we got out of the driveway.

The next morning, I set what was left of the first batch of those muffins onto the kitchen table and let the girls help themselves for breakfast. Before I knew it, most of them were gone and Mia looked intent on finishing every last one of them.


"You really like those applesauce muffins, huh Mia?" I asked, trying to confiscate the last few to save for their original intended purpose.

"Yep, I sure do," she said. "I guess I'm just a muffin girl."
The entire batch was gone before lunch.


This afternoon was cooler, so I took advantage of it and had Mia help me bake another batch of those little muffins. I am the muffin lady, after all. I have a reputation to live up to--and hungry mouths to feed.

Love,
Scratch


Applesauce Mini Muffins

These muffins are a great way to introduce buckwheat flour to your battery of baking supplies. I experimented with buckwheat when I first went gluten free, but it has taken some time for me to find a combination of flavors that made me really fall in love with the stuff. The applesauce, cinnamon and coconut sugar work together perfectly here, making the buckwheat's subtle nutty flavor shine. All of my kids eat these muffins with enthusiasm, and I imagine yours will too. 






Ingredients:
1 cup buckwheat flour
1 cup Gluten Free flour blend
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
1/2 cup coconut sugar (regular sugar works here as well, but yields a sweeter muffin)
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cinnamon sugar, for the topping

Method:
First, turn your oven on to 375 degrees and give a mini muffin pan a good coat of nonstick cooking spray.
 
Move on to the dry ingredients. Measure the first seven ingredients into a medium sized mixing bowl and whisk them together. Set aside.

In another, slightly larger mixing bowl, add all the wet ingredients (the following five ingredients) and whisk to combine well. Then gradually tip the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, whisking as you go until the batter forms and there aren't any more pockets of flour to be found.

Scoop the muffins into the muffin pan using a mini ice cream scoop (or use regular spoons to fill each muffin cup with about 1 1/2 Tablespoons of batter). Dust with cinnamon sugar and bake for 13 minutes (or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean).








0 comments:

 

Template by Best Web Hosting